There’s nothing nicer than walking into a cozy, warm home on a frosty winter day, or a cool, comfy home in the heat of summer. Your heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system plays an essential role in keeping your home, and your family, happy – year round.
Since the HVAC system takes care of you, it’s important for you to take care of it! How do you know when it’s time to change your heating and cooling system? Annual preventive checks are a good start; the technician can give you a “heads up” when the old system is ready to be replaced.
However, you don’t need to wait for a pro to examine your system. If any of these top 10 warning signs “hit home,” it’s time to consider a heating and cooling system upgrade:
- You can’t remember when you bought the system. How many years ago was it? With HVAC systems, age matters. Air conditioners and heat pumps are typically good for about 10 years, and then need replacing. A furnace or boiler will often run well a bit longer, but when the heater is more than 15 years old, it’s time to consider a new model.
- You’re hot in some rooms, and cold in others. Maybe the dining room is always hot. The living room is always cold. If some rooms in your home are never the right temperature, the issue could be the HVAC system – or something else, such as problems with insulation or ductwork. Have a professional check.
- You’re remodeling. Congratulations! If you’re doing a major remodeling at home, it’s the perfect time to consider a new HVAC system. This is especially important if the remodeling includes an addition that creates new spaces to heat and cool.
- You know the system hasn’t been properly maintained. Annual preventive maintenance can extend the life of an HVAC system. Systems that have not been regularly checked can stop working without warning. That’s never convenient.
- You could dust the furniture every day. The air quality inside your home is a direct reflection of the HVAC system. Excess dust is a sign that the system is not working properly.
- Your utility bills seem awfully high. Talk to family or friends with comparable homes in your neighborhood. If you’re paying considerably more than they are for heating and cooling, it’s time to look at newer, more energy-efficient units. Some high-efficiency systems can save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs. Over the course of a year (or the life of the system), that really adds up.
- You’re shouting over the sound of the air conditioner. Maybe the blower seems to be on all the time – or the system cycles on and off a lot more than it used to. And, when it comes on, it’s so noisy you have to raise your voice to be heard. Consider these warning signs. There could be problems with coils or other equipment parts. A professional technician can assess the problem and determine if there’s a reliable, cost-effective fix or if it’s time for a replacement.
- You’re keeping an empty home comfortable. If everyone in the house is gone all day and you don’t have a programmable thermostat, you’re wasting money. You’re also wasting energy. As an extra bonus, programmable thermostats can adjust temperatures appropriately during the nighttime hours.
- You smell something odd coming out of the HVAC system. If your system ever emits a bad odor, call a professional and have it checked immediately.
- You’re on a first-name basis with the HVAC repairman. That’s nice, but … the HVAC system shouldn’t break down repeatedly. When repairs become a constant expense, it’s time to explore your options.
Once you have a new heating and cooling system, take care of it!
Proactive, preventive maintenance with the HVAC pros from Lee Company can help you:
- Increase the lifespan of your current HVAC system
- Enjoy a comfortable home temperature all year round
- Improve your home’s inside air quality
- Save money on electric bills
Saving money on those monthly bills is great. Being proactive – maintaining your HVAC system on a regular, annual basis – also saves you the headaches and unexpected expenses that come with the “wait and see” approach.
So don’t wait! Give us a call today. We’re here to help, just as we have been for more than 70 years. Your home is where our heart is.
We’ve got you covered.
If you’re in Nashville, Tenn.; Murfreesboro, Tenn.; Decatur, Ala.; or Huntsville, Ala., chances are you’ve seen our Lee Company vans. We travel to dozens of cities large and small in the greater Nashville and surrounding Middle Tennessee area, in North Alabama and other parts of our region. We’re here for you. Give us a call or request an appointment online!