At Lee Company, we believe homes that are well maintained – inside and out – provide a real sanctuary for the people who live there and the people who visit. We’re happy to provide this fall “check-up” list to help you weatherize before the holidays. If you’d like any assistance with any of the items, just give us a call!
Weatherizing outside your home
- Take a good look at your house. When was the last time you cleaned out those gutters? Clogged gutters can damage the outside of your home or even lead to water in the basement. It’s best to clean the gutters now, before the fall leaves fall.
- Check out your driveway, sidewalk and steps. Cracks can be both unsightly and dangerous. If a crack is more than 1/8 inch wide, fix it now before winter’s ice turns it into an even bigger problem.
- When was the last time you inspected the roof? Leaky roofs can create huge problems for homeowners. If you’re not comfortable climbing a ladder for a firsthand view, we understand. This is a “to do” that many people prefer having Lee Company handle.
- Take the steps necessary to ensure that outside faucets – and underground watering systems – are ready for winter. Follow the manufacturer’s advice for your irrigation system. For the faucets, you’ll want to close the shut-off valve and drain the line. If you don’t have a shut-off valve, you can use a faucet cover for extra protection.
Weatherizing inside your home
- Is your furnace ready for winter? You can change the filter, but it’s a good idea to have a professional inspect the entire system for safety. This is particularly important if you have a gas heater. For Lee Company Planned Service Members, this is part of the annual inspection.
- Now’s a great time to add a humidifier to your mechanical system or inspect an existing humidifier. Humidifiers help keep your home comfortable, of course, but they also help prevent wood from cracking.
- If you have a fireplace and plan to use it, annual inspections are advised and can spot everything from dangerous creosote build-up to flue-blocking birds’ nests.
- Speaking of fires, why not make October your regular “check the smoke detectors” month? Smoke detectors save lives – but only if they’re working properly! This is part of the annual electrical inspection included in our home maintenance plan.
If there are weatherizing items on the list that you can handle yourself, that’s terrific! If you’d like or need any assistance, the professionals at Lee Company are here and happy to help. Get your home ready now, and you’ll be in great shape to greet family and friends at the holidays.