December is a busy time of year, and we want to remind you to take the time needed to keep your home and loved ones safe and secure. Our gift to you? A few quick tips!
Keep the home fires burning – safely
According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more home fires occur during the winter than in any other season. Take extra care:
- Keep your Christmas tree watered – dry trees are like tinder.
- Don’t leave candles burning unattended.
- Allow space around space heaters.
- Don’t overload outlets and extension cords.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy – and know how to use it!
If you use gas logs in your fireplace, have one of our professionals inspect and clean the logs; gas logs are a source of carbon monoxide issues. Speaking of that, when was the last time you changed the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors? It’s a little step that saves lives.
Don’t invite unwanted guests
We’re not talking about your odd aunt, or that constantly complaining cousin. You may not be able to avoid them. However, there are steps you can take to avoid burglars and other unwanted disruptions:
- Put automatic timers on lights, so your home looks occupied even when you’re gone.
- Install outdoor lights to brighten the path to your front door.
- Pause your mail if you’re on a trip, or have a trusted neighbor pick it up. Stacks of mail are an invitation to burglars.
- Don’t advertise your adventures on social media – avoid posting updates about holiday travel that make it clear you’re not home.
Gift ideas to keep you and your favorite homeowners safe and secure
Help Santa give the gifts everyone wants! Check out these suggestions from the Lee Company home security team:
- Honeywell combo detectors for carbon monoxide and smoke: These wireless devices communicate to the Honeywell touchpad.
- Honeywell touchpad: These home systems lock doors, control lights, change the thermostat and more – and they connect with Alexa.
- Skybell: Who’s at the door? Find out. Receive a video each time your doorbell is pushed. (It’s a great way to know when online packages arrive!)
- Arlo: Security cameras provide remote access to check on your home over the holidays
Want more cool ideas for the people on your list? Check out our 2017 Gift Guide: Best Presents for Every Homeowner.
From all of us at Lee Company, we wish you a very safe and happy holiday season!